Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Sing-Off, Season 2!

I love the sing-off, it was amazing last year. They've got a kind of eclectic mix of judges/host: Shawn Stockman (Boyz II Men), Nicole Scherzinger (Pussycat Dolls), and Ben Folds are the judges...and Nick Lachey from 98 degrees and Jessica Simpson-fame is the host. If you haven't seen it, check out, it's worth it:


and


Those are the two finalists from last year, and they were clearly the two best of the season. However, some (aka myself) may think that they picked the wrong winner.

So when I saw that the second season was coming on, I just got so stoked. Here's the rundown of this season:

High school group from Ohio, co-ed - they sang a Justin Bieber song, they're the youngest in the competition, and it kinda sounded like it. I was shocked to see that they moved on to the next round.

Oregon group, all-male - they had a viral video of them singing Bad Romance (watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUWfL32S5PA), and they remind me of the Beelzebubs from last season. They're an early favorite of mine.

Seattle jazz group, co-ed - they're a group of music teachers, so they're really musically solid. However, they're smaller, and a little older, so the energy isn't really as high as with some of the other groups (for the record, I think that isn't what they're going for though). While I didn't love them, they did sing "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder, so they get bonus points from me.

Pitch Slapped, co-ed - funniest group name, and they're from Berklee college of music...so they're studs vocally. They have some intricate harmonies/notes they can hit, that not many other groups could. With that said, it was hilarious that this group of music students comes out with "Good Girls Go Bad". I still can't believe that they got kicked off! It's rigged. I'm calling it right now.

Jerry Lawson and the Talk of Town, all-male - super-enjoyable, motown a cappella. This guy used to be in an R&B group, and I don't know how old he is, but he can definitely still sing. I've got a soft spot in my heart for this type of music, I love it.

The Whiffenpoofs, all-male - Yale student group, oldest a cappella group ever apparently? Really, really liked how they did "Grace Kelly". They're another early favorite.

Men of Note, all-male - great lead singer, and really solid vocally top-to-bottom. They just got stuck in the second group, and every other group was better than them, although barely.

Street Corner Symphony, all-male - good ole boys from Tennessee with a hipster singer, they're really united as a group, but nothing really stuck out to me.

The Backbeats, co-ed - my sister loves this band, and she's got a point. They're a supergroup, and they sound like it, but I'm not all the way on-board yet. But then again, maybe I'm intimidated by a girl beatboxer.

Committed, all-male - gospel group of black boys from 'Bama, these dudes are amazing. Oh my goodness. Can I just say how weird it is to have your beatboxer have a solo - and then jump right back into beatboxing? I am committed to committed.

No comments: