Sunday, January 9, 2011

True Grit

Just got back from True Grit, and as an overarching review let me just say: I liked it. Here are a few take-away thoughts from my movie-watching experience.

- The Coen brothers have slowly gained my trust. They didn't start out with it because their movies have been so weird, but I feel like every movie I watch with them is an interesting story. They are very focused on telling a story, and to put it generally, I like the final product.

- I'm a huge sucker for Matt Damon. I'm a growing fan of Jeff Bridges'. And I really like Josh Brolin. Therefore, this movie was not hard to like. Bridges and Damon both just did great jobs, and it was great to watch them interact with each other.

- With that said, I didn't like the girl's character. I realize that she's supposed to be that high-strung, and honestly her negotiation tactics may or may not be going to be implemented into my life...but she was a handful. Even in her old age, she was someone who I would not love to hang out with for extended amounts of time. But apparently neither did anyone else, or at least not enough to put a ring on it! ZING!

- I loved the musical score. There are different ways to have a recurring theme song go throughout a movie/tv show/etc. You can either go the JAG route (unbearable since its so repetitive and strictly goes by the melody), you can have a "themed" theme like Harry Potter where the whole score is loosely based on a melody, or you can have something like this movie did. They basically walked through the whole song of "Leaning on the everlasting arms", and just cut it up throughout the movie. It made the movie flow very nicely.

So for all of those reasons, I thought the movie was a really cool western, with enough star power to save some negative parts of the acting or script. I recommend going to see it, and enjoy the very frequent jokes and ironies thrown in!

No comments: