Monday, September 19, 2011

The Sing-Off, Round 3

Here's my thoughts on each group's performances in the premiere of NBC's "The Sing-Off":

Yellowjackets - The boys from Rochester University came out with fire! I really enjoyed the groove they had, but their lead vocalists were a bit too shaky. That could be because they went first, but the music major black dude came in and killed the bridge. I kind of want them to be a mix between last season's winners Committed and the fun-loving On The Rocks.

Fannin Family - A group of 8 siblings, their harmonies fit together so well. However, they have the youngest girl (14 years old) singing lead, and I thought she left a little bit to be desired. It's a shame they're voted off so quickly, but give that young'un some time to mature and they could win a later season of this thing.

Afro-Blue - I really like the chemistry running through the entire band. They fit so well, and it's a really deep, complex sound - you can tell that they're music majors. Props to the white girl in the R&B/jazz ensemble at the previously-all-black Howard University. Girls got cajones.

Delilah - Another shot at redemption for some previously-rejected Sing-Off girls. The lead has the best female voice I've heard on the show in recent memory, and as a group they utilized the quiet dynamic that only a small theater provides.

Urban Method - A hip-hop group from Denver, they're definitely the most dark and edgy group that's been on the show to date. I'm not sure how much I liked it.

Cat's Pajamas - They're from Branson, Missouri - which means that they're consummate professional showmen. A group of 5, they're a little smaller, but everyone can really sing, and they have the concept of teamwork. There isn't really a nice bass tone to the group, but they've got the high register down pat. Also, Sara. Bareilles. Is. Awkward. Such a shame that they were sent home early.

Kinfolk 9 - What a name! Los Angeles natives, it seems that they think they've got the secret weapon in their rockin' lead singer (a la Street Corner Symphony from Season 2), but I thought his voice and performance leaves something to be desired. I think that this is a group who could learn a thing or two from Delilah's usage of musical dynamics. I definitely thought they were the weakest of their foursome, and I can't see them outperforming everyone else for very long.

Vocal Point - Mormon alert! The boys from Provo are completely G-rated and family-friendly, but they definitely aren't boring. I love the lead, he had a great energy to him and so did the whole group that just leaves a good taste in your mouth. I loved the self-aware uniform from the guys: white shirts and skinny black ties.

Best of all: this is only half of the performing groups! Next week is apparently all new people, and I'm pumped to see the other side of the bracket! What a good show, this definitely has been worth the wait.

No comments: