Thursday, March 3, 2011

American Idol, are you serious?

I mean for real! After my boy, Taylor Hicks, won season 5 of American Idol, I swore off the show because I had reached the pinnacle - I had picked a guy in his first audition to win the whole thing. Also attributing to my American Idol sabbatical was the increase in gimmicks and tricks that the show kept throwing out there. It was honestly annoying, and if you don't agree then you must be the one person in the world who thinks that Ryan Seacrest is SO funny, and you probably actually like watching non-Super Bowl commercials. Be honest.

However, I started watching this season. What got me back into it? Honestly, I wanted to see Jennifer Lopez, Randy Jackson, and Steven Tyler ruin the show. I knew that Randy couldn't handle the show by himself, J-Lo would be too....I don't know, harsh? and that Steven Tyler would probably fill his Coca-Cola sponsored cup with LSD and trip out on national TV. So I started watching. And you know what? I like it! I was right, Randy can't carry the load, but he doesn't need too - this group is sharing the load, like the '00 Ravens, or the '04 Pistons, or the '10 San Francisco Giants. They're sharing the ball, and it's really working.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure that Steven Tyler has in his contract somewhere that he can do whatever he wants. And I'm sure that Ryan Seacrest - ever the drama queen - loves it, and caters to it. Seriously, how long until he gets to bring a pet into auditions one year? Or he makes out with a hot girl (or guy? ew jordan...stop) after some face-melting solo.

So here's what I think of the current top 10 (+3). Because it's not the top 13 according to TV Guide...thanks a lot, show riggers. The girls are clearly shallower in depth, so I'll start with them. Lauren Alaina and Hailey Reinhart could win the whole thing, but each would have to surprise me. Hailey KILLED it this week with Alicia Keys' "Fallin'", and Lauren actually sang a song that I didn't like. But like a consummate professional, she made a 4 sound like an 8, and a song choice that should have made her nervous in any other year sent her sailing through to the next round. Thia Megia could be something special, but has yet to prove to me that she's good enough to make into the Hailey-Lauren echelon. Naima is really good, but won't last - and Ashthon is solid, but doesn't do anything special for me...and you need that to separate yourself. Pia sang The Pretenders' "I'll Stand By You" so well this week, and me and my roommate were blown away by it - but it's really the first time I've looked at her twice, so it's too soon to place her. I really like Karen Rodriguez, and I'd say her consistency puts her in a class of her own directly below the Hailey-Lauren line. The girls, however, are weak compared to the guys, and I still think that only Lauren or maybe Hailey can win it all.

As for the guys, unfortunately, it's a two-man race. Stefano is really good, he's got such a powerfully high voice for only being like 5'5'', but his time on the show is dwindling because he doesn't have the depth of range of his peers.

Can I just say that Tim Halperin is good enough to make it ANY other year?! So good, and I really think that a bad song choice led him to an early exit. Plus, he's friends with a guy I knew from high school, so it was cool to see Aaron Mullenix on my TV for the past few weeks.

Scotty, the low-singing baseball pitcher, is Mr. Country this year. He knows his strike zone, and isn't willing to chase. He's like Tony Gwynn, he won't hit many home runs, but every time out you expect him to make solid contact. And you know what? I think it could get him to go really far this season.

I love Paul McDonald, and his quirky voice and fashion sense. First of all, props for going all-black, and the coat tails were very cool. He knows what he can do, and with his raspy voice he can take any song and make it his own without trying too hard. However, I don't think the American public will appreciate him as much as he should be, so I think he's on his last legs here. Shame.

Casey Abrams, if anyone, could catch the two frontrunners. However, the bearded eccentric will have to set the WORLD on fire if he plans on catching them...kind of like he did this week. His personality really shows when he sings, and it's very endearing. He's a mainstay in the show for sure, and he is must-see TV.

Now Jacob Lusk and James Durbin are 1-2 in some order, depending on the day. For me, I think that this week Jacob's Vandross song "A House Is Not A Home" barely edges out James's "You Got Another Thing Coming". Lusk was emotional, and Durbin was playful and energetic, and it's really like a difference between 9.9 and a 9.8 but still. One thing that I think will be interesting to watch will be to see how well Jacob can do the faster songs. He's got the heart-wrenchers down to an art, but can he awkwardly bounce around the stage? Even if he can't, he's still miles in front of 3rd place. And let it be known that Durbin can do almost no wrong in my eyes. So there.

Final prediction: 1st - Lusk, 2nd - Durbin

No comments: